Skip to main content

My City

NIRDISHTHA RAJ SAPKOTA
The busy, bustling city of Kathmandu. The houses, all of them lived in, all of them teeming with life and activity. I must say that I’ve grown to love the houses of Kathmandu and its people. I must say that Kathmandu has a certain charm to it and no, it has nothing to do with the nightlife. Being a teenager, people tend to jump into conclusions and I’m just trying to say that I love Kathmandu for everything it is except a few things, like pollution.
Imagine a developed Nepal, from Mechi to Mahakali, every nook and cranny developed with load shedding and water scarcity taking the back seat. No more people dying of diarrhea, no more discrimination and no more crises of daily necessities. Such a wonderful thought! Imagine eco friendly cities all over Nepal. Imagine Nepal selling electricity to countries and imagine our country not suffering from financial crunches and an unstable political scenario.
The developed Nepal will see decentralization and people will opt to go back home and not live in small cramped spaces in the capital. Kathmandu’s going to be empty which means not having to wait in a long line at the grocery store or at the bank. But imagine your neighbors’ house empty except one or two people living there who’re rarely home and are mostly travelling. How would it affect you?
Kathmandu city is home, this is where I was born and where I grew up. This damned city made me, well, me. With its political instability, strikes, garbage on the road, street children sniffing glue, struggle for supremacy, aggressiveness of people, the long waits to have any work done, has all seeped into my daily life and I can’t imagine living in a different place where nothing is familiar.
I do realize that it doesn’t really make sense for me to worry about this because it’s not like I’m going to run away at every chance from this city. I like it here. The heavy smoke clogged air, the huge piles of garbage, the ever-moving crowd at Ason, have all become a part of life and these things have deeply embedded themselves into my life and many others too.
The writer has published a novel ‘untitled life’ in 2011.

Comments

  1. Excuse me but I don't remember giving you the permission to publish my work in your website. Can you please take it down?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Nepali DNA!

ROSHAN KARKI Last Christmas, I gave away my spit but the very next month, the DNA results came back making me feel: Not-So-Special “Who am I?” This selfie question often reverberates in my head, even more so at times when my Nepali identity (ego) is questioned, challenged, or brushed aside by an Indian stamp far away from home. Over the years, this insecurity has been fueled by overtones of ethnic federalism—an idea entrenched on differences we possess as Nepalis, along the lines of caste, creed, color, and culture. The ambiguous talks on identity issues by journalists, scholars, and op-ed writers from Nepal have done little to ease my dilemma. The question resurfaced again in one of those Chiya-Chats at my Alma Mater in Connecticut among the most diverse, passionate, and intelligent Nepali students I’ve ever interacted with. Beyond the usual fervor of Mount Everest and Buddha, we seemed perplexed about our Nepali identity: whether to associate with our country, align with our eth...

During menstruation in Nepal

How did the long-established-superstition barring a girl from several activities during menstruation emerge in Nepal? Nepal is not a developed country.There are superstitions everywhere. Even we, educated ones are deviated to superstitions at certain degree, let alone the illiterate ones. There is a social rule here that a girl during menstruation, should not go and touch the kitchenware and foods directly. They are not allowed to touch stuffs related to gods for they are considered to be “impure” during menstruation. Also, they are not allowed to touch a male person with “janai”, a sacred bunch of threads worn by every male person who has attended a special occasion called “bratabandha”. These are just superstitions, which, for our victory over evil are to be be neglected. No one has pondered how this came to practice in Nepalese societies, except following them. It actually began while taking into note the health and cleanliness of our body. There were no techniques to prevent flo...

Loquacious and its derivations

It’s derived from Latin  loquor,  to speak. Soliloquy: It mean a speech to oneself as its formed of  solus,  alone and  loquor.   It makes us clear about soliloquize, soliloquist and others. Circumlocution: It has the same root:  loquor.  circum  means around, so its meaning is talking around and not directly. Also be clear about next word circumlocutory.